External MS Office Upgrade to Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bilalo, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello all, I wanted to ask, if i got Microsoft office as a Disk and installed it on my mac osx lion, and i upgraded to mountain lion, will Microsoft office erase? will it still work or will i have to update it and how? Will I have to re install or anything since it isnt in the account but rather a disk.

Thank you in advance :)

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

If you do an OS upgrade, all of your apps/documents/data will not be overwritten. If you do a fresh install over your current OS, you will lose everything.

As to whether or not MS Office will still work - I guess it depends on the version and whether it will run in ML. I have 2011 and it works just as well in ML as it did in Lion.

3. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Whats the difference between a fresh install and just an upgrade? I get that an upgrade is from the app store but installing it is from?? rebooting?
    Why do people do that, is it better? :S

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

An upgrade is just installing the new OS on top of the OS you already have. A fresh/clean install is wiping the drive completely and then installing the new OS on it. Each has its advantages/disadvantages, but an upgrade will work just fine for most users.

5. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

If u may state the Adv/DisAdv plz :)

6. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Advantages for Upgrade:
    -Usually faster than clean install
    -Your apps/data will remain after the OS is done installing

Disadvantage:
    -You will still have remnants of the previous OS in your system files (though this really isn't a big deal)

-------------------------

Advantages for clean install:
    -Your system starts fresh with no remnants of the old OS
    -The OS will typically be a bit faster (though most times not noticeable) than an upgrade

Disadvantages:
    -Takes longer than an upgrade
    -You have to reinstall all your apps and migrate your data back over, which can be time consuming if you have a lot of files

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Clean Install is not an upgrade method, it is a repair method. Simple Upgrade is the method is the logical installation the default method of installing the OS download from the Mac App Store. It is the method that you should use.

8. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

I see so its as if im formatting my lappy :p Not worth it, im sure I dont have enough remnants to care :D Thanks alot :)