External NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Claude11554, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Claude11554 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

Im a new Mac user, i just purchased the new Macbook Pro 17" fully loaded and having lots of fun with this thing, compared to a Pc based laptop i had for about a yr... anyways long story.

I bought a Western Digital Mybook World edition and connected it to my new Airport Extreme via Rj45 cable.
    It seems that i had to play around with it a little to get it all setup for the network sharing.

I cant seem to get Time Machine to see it, this is where im stuck.
    I have been searching the web, and most discussions mention disk utility.
    when i start up Apps\utils\disk utils, it doesn't see the drive.

The drive came with its own software, but i really don't want to install anything on the Mac. it seems to me i need to format this baby and journal it, from what i read. And this is where i need help please.

Also i do need the 4 Pc's in the house to have access to this drive. All running XP pro SP3.

Is it possible or should i return this drive and purchase one from the Apple Store?

Thanx in Advance
    Claude

2. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure Time Machine doesn't work with anything except Time Capsule when it comes to NAS drives. There is something you can type into terminal and i've tried it and it doesn't seem to work. Heres the link - http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/10/how-to-enable-time-machine-on-unsupported-volumes/

3. skarocks47 macrumors member