External opinions: replace hard drive or buy all new

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zim, Jun 12, 2007.

1. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I have two dead LaCie D2 cases, both with dead drives. Both have working power supplies. Is it recommended to replace the drives in these things? I have the cash and could go new.. my last set up, which has been great was an OWC case with a SATA Seagate drive, which is what I would do again if I went new. So trust the LaCie case and just get the drive or go new?

Would love an opinion.

Thanks!

2. granted macrumors newbie

Wondering the Same

Hey,

I have an old Lacie D2 triple interface enclosure. It used to have a 160GB drive in it and that died over a year ago. I just got another western digital external which is nice, but I've got to do something with this enclosure.

My question now is which drive do I go with. It orgininally had a MAxtor 160GB ATA 133 drive in it. I'm wondering if I should go with an ATA 133 with 8MB of cache or a an ATA 100 with 16MB of cache. I can't find any good info on the performance differences. Anyone have any info??

3. supafly1703 macrumors regular

i would like to upgrade my 160gb d2 Lace hardrive to something bigger inside. help!

4. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

Not sure on the different drives. I would assume that the 16MB cache model would be more responsive.

Replacing the drives is pretty easy. You will find that on the back of the D2 case there are two screws, one is under the sticker. Once you remove them you will find, I believe a total of 6 screws.. I think. Just make sure you get the right drive, ATA not SATA.

---
    Update on my situation. Turns out that my ding hard drive was a faulty power supply. The click click click sound wasn't the drive going bad but rather the power supply not being able to boot it up. When I put the power supply up to my ear it made a very odd whining sound, stop then whine again. So my solution was to take the power supply from my older enclosure, which did have a dead drive. I am now going to get another OWC enclosure, have had great luck with them... but never really had any issues with the D2s.. I still think that the D2 is a great case.