External optical drive better than internal MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bili.d.kid, Mar 2, 2013.

1. bili.d.kid macrumors member

hello, im new here. just want to ask someone has gave me advice that is better to use external op drive because its more reliable to read any disk in any condition, and longer life usage than my internal op on my mbp.is this true in fact that i use my internal so often for ripping dvd movie.is this could really damage my optical in the long term use, or should i get external for this particular task? thanks.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Tbh, I wouldnt worry too much.
    Everything will start to break if there are extremely long usages.
    But just ripping DVDs and creating one probably wont do much harm.

Thats like saying you write a lot on your HDD/SSD so you store all your data on external drive.
    Just keep on using it.
    Im pretty sure you wont face a problem for quite a while, if any.

3. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Eh I wouldn't worry about it. Drives these days are quite reliable and can go through a lot. If anything you'll have a higher chance of maybe damaging it yourself via dropping it or something rather than having it fail on you.

4. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

Glad to hear that, thanks for the input.now i can move all of my dvd collection without worry to buy extternal.

5. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I bought a $35 external usb dvd burner for my macbook pro to rip dvd's. I have been using external dvd burner on my previous macs. My reasoning is that although chances of your internal dvd drive going bad are very slim it can still happen. So to me it is easier to spend little money on a cheap external burner and use it for years (my previous one lasted for about 5) then having to replace my internal one if it does break.

6. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Seconded! Going through repairs can be expensive and cumbersome!

7. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

Ok, second thought.maybe i should use external for ripping my huge collection.

8. chrise2 macrumors 6502

You people probably leave the plastic on your furniture too. :)

9. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Good idea! much easier to replace and cheaper too! Use a samsung one, they are pretty reliable been using mine for 1 year without a scratch, I use it a lot on my gaming rig! So you can understand that I use it on an average for 1-2 hours daily. Also this is the 2nd PC the drive is serving. I had a cheap LG one that did not last even for 6 months. My internal drive in my old PC got spoiled and hence I decided to shift to external drives. They are also very sleek and add beauty to the desk they sit on!

10. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

On a semi related note on my iMac I was doing a lot of ripping and burning, I did the extremely stupid thing of inserting a very dirty disk and it ended up screwing up my internal drive. In order to fix it, it was a very big hassle and costly.

From that day forward I have decided to always use an external drive. Because the way I look at it, if it fails in any way I just throw it away, buy a new one, and plug it in. A lot easier & cheaper.

11. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

lol, i have many of those very dirty disk by the way. and honestly this is why i post this thread.

12. nando4 macrumors regular

Initially I thought the only issue would be performance since the internal unit has a SATA interface whereas the external is USB (480Mbps).

Upon doing some research I found most DVD drives are 8x read (1x=11.080Mbps) so don't come close to saturating the USB bus.

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_and_DVD_writing_speed

Meaning an external unit will perform just as well as an internal one.

13. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

the cheap external also better in terms of performance.this is the technical reason why most people using it more frequent than their internal optical itself.