External Optical Drive for Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xiaomei, Jul 12, 2009.

1. xiaomei macrumors member

Feb 21, 2009

I'm considering buying blu ray burner(laptop version) in cheap external case from ebay instead macbook air superdrive. I know, I won't be able to play any movies on Mac osx. This case has 2 wires, one for data, second one for power. Will macbook air be able to power it up and send data through one wire? I read somewhere that usb on mac has more power and some people confirmed it should work.
    Anyone's got experience in that topic?
    Any suggestions will be appriciated :)
  2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2009

yes, the macbook air can supply 1.2amps at 5v through the usb, normal usb ports supply .5 amps (500mah) through usb so the air will supply more than 2 usb ports worth of power within one.
  3. darrellishere macrumors 6502

Jul 13, 2007
    I bought one too! About 6 months ago and its been a little gem!
    I use it with my mac mini mainly, but did try it with windows on the air, using powerdvd 9 to my 32" tv using a display port to HDMI converter!
    It didn't work saying it couldn't verify the certificate or something, but I should have tested it more as it started doing that using my mini but works 8 times out of 10. (Blu-ray & mini display port ;)

I found also that for some reason the macbook air is fussy on which drive it allows to see at startup (holding down the alt key). So I had to get a silver macbook air supper drive specifically for installing windows.

Mines a Sony Optrica, inside a black external case. (A bit noisy but I have now removed it from the black case and placed it permanently inside my mac mini as its a slim line laptop slot loading drive :)