External optical drive with multiple trays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CBergerman1515, Dec 16, 2011.

1. CBergerman1515 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum, but here goes.

I'm currently in the process of converting a HUGE library of DVDs to files on an external hard drive using Handbrake. I'm tired of using my MB Pro's superdrive for a single DVD at a time. So I'm wondering...

Is there an external optical drive with 4 (or more) trays that I could purchase? I'm not looking for something to actually burn DVDs, because I only need it to read them. I'm also not looking to spend 350 dollars on a multi-tray duplicator.

Does anyone know of a device that will do this?

Thanks!

2. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

You must have thought of this already, but just in case: it would likely end up cheaper to buy additional regular external optical drives + a USB hub.

3. CBergerman1515 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i could spend 30-50 bucks each on 4 external readers but I was hoping for a more elegant solution. Like an integrated, "single" device/enclosure. You know what I mean?

4. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

I see what you mean. Never seen such a device (except a CD-R duplicator with 4 trays about 10 years back :D), and Google didn't help. Good luck!

5. CBergerman1515 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya i spent awhile looking on google before posting. Thanks for the advice. I'm not giving up yet though ha.

Does anyone else know of such a device?