external optical hard drive question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macnoob1823, Feb 27, 2011.

1. macnoob1823 macrumors newbie

2. 184550 Guest

3. ozred macrumors 6502

Yes. It's just a matter of personal preference.

I bought a fully loaded MBA recently & also got Apples matching external drive. Fairly priced & convenient to include in the same order were my reasons.

Cheers :)

4. abuleban macrumors member

Probably

but I bought the apple one just to be sure. That said, I don't use it too much, but good to have around just in case

5. macnoob1823 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Does not list Mac as a support OS.

Try this one...though I believe any of the externals that might work with Mac laptops will require 2 usb ports:

Samsung USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer: SE-S084C or D

Best price I found was $48 Shipped.

7. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

I cam burn and read from a samsung drive with only using one of the two USB ports

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Actually, the Apple external optical drive was higher power, as most all of them are when burning a disk (they usually have dual USB connectors so they can get double the power when needed). Since the Air only had a single USB port available, they equipped it with higher power than normal so that it could burn disks with only one port using the Apple drive. They continued that design with subsequent Air models.

This also prevents use of the Apple external optical drive on other macs which don't have the high-powered port. Only the Air and Mac Mini have these higher powered ports.

-howard

9. macnoob1823 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. I was actually looking at that Samsung one, and like it.

My only gripe is that it's not vertical. The reason I liked the Asus one so much was that it wouldn't take up as much space on my desk.

Any ideas for vertical optical drives?

Thanks!
    Brian