External or internal blu ray

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soura2112, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I'm getting a new Mac Pro and curious if I should get 2 18x dual layer DVD drives or just one so I can put a blu ray in the bay, if possible. I know blu ray and apple are not friends but I want blu ray back up eventually. When I was creating a lot of DVDs I wanted another DVD drive but my G5 did not offer 2 bays. If an internal is pointless I would like the extra DVD drive and find an external blu ray on sale one day.
    Curious how you guys with blu rays have your Mac Pro set up.
    Thanks for info

2. schulmaster macrumors member

If you'd be purchasing the internal drive hoping for OSX support down the road, I wouldn't do that. This is especially true for someone who has a use for 2 DVD drives. You can always take out one of the drives later and replace it. However, I believe there are some BluRay drives that will work as DVD drives in OSX, with the BluRay capability unavailable, which is another option.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

Except.. you know.. it's possible to burn blu-ray discs in OS X - which the OP wants. Other people here can attest to that.

And it's not like OWC would lie just to sell blu-ray drives.

4. telequest macrumors regular

Bought external Blu-ray from OWC

I just bought myself an external OWC Blu-ray burner. Haven't hooked it up yet, but goal is for long-term archiving of video projects and other multi-Gig files.

I went external because I wanted to save the spare internal optical bay for an SSD. All my other HD slots are full. The Firewire (or eSATA if you have a card for that) connection is plenty fast for Blu-Ray.