External or Internal Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by krogers34, Jul 31, 2008.

1. krogers34 macrumors member

I was thinking about getting a new internal hard drive for my new macbook since i bought the low end one with the 120gb hdd. I was looking at getting a 320gb one and installing it my self, but then i came across the western digital passport with 320gb for 130 from office depot for 20 dollars more than and internal one would be and then i would have the 320 and the 120, i dont know what to do, what would be better, thanks

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

What do you need the extra space for?

Either way you do it you'll end with both hard drives. If you use the 320GB as internal, you can still get an external enclosure for the 120GB.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Just do as soberbain just stated use the enclosure to clone OS X over to the new drive and then swap them

4. krogers34 thread starter macrumors member

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

What in a macbook if you can use a screwdriver then no problem, guides can be found here

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Pretty easy! You may find plenty of threads in the forum about changing the drive of the MacBook.

I did it myself and I was impressed by how easy it was. As suggested I also bought an enclosure and installed the new drive there. Then I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of my internal disk to the new external (you can SuperDuper too). I booted from the external to check for everything to be functioning properly and then replaced the drive following the guides as already suggested!

7. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

QUOTE=krogers34;5949261]how hard is it to switch them on my own?[/QUOTE]

very quite simple I just cloned my hard drive last night for the first time. There is a program called Carbon Copy Cloner and you can get it on VersionTracker. just as simple as installing that and choosing where you want to clone your current hard drive and play the waiting game. It took my G4 45mhz about 45 mins for 19 gigs, haha I am sure you have alot more stuff and a lot better processor. As far as incloseing the old hard drive thats pretty easy to just got to get the enclosure for it and hook the wires up.

misterredman looks like you beat me to it...

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

We use this at work. Nice program. Haven't had a glitch with it.
    But, to answer the question something about opening my mbp would make me cringe. I would get an external hard drive and breath a sigh of relief.

9. krogers34 thread starter macrumors member

whats the biggest hard drive i can put in my macbook?

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

whatever the largest size if you can find.

its curently 500gb

11. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

haha yeah I am with you on opening it up, but its not that bad if you know what you are doing. Real simple to do what he is wanting to do.