External/Partition scheme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dethkannon, Jan 24, 2011.

1. dethkannon macrumors newbie

greetings.

i have an external harddrive that was once one continuous FAT32 volume at the size of 1TB.

through the use of iPartition, Time machine, and drag+drop i now have a 700gb partition with movies, music, software, etc (est 350gb used)

a partition for time machine (about 85gb)
    and a final 25gb partition i wish to install os x 10.5 on, for 'emergency' use to defrag/access my internal harddrive.

all of hese partitions are formatted HFS+, journaling enabled, however, when i attempt to install OS X 10.5 onto my 25GB partition aptly named, "RemoteOS", i get an error stating that i must create a partition using a GUID... something or other. i'm aware that this has replaced MBR, and being that the drive was once FAT32 i'm assuming that's what it is.

my question is, is it possible to change this without losing data? iPartition seems to show that it is possible... but some of this data isn't something i'd like to lose, and i can't readily replace most of it.

thank you!

2. dred macrumors newbie

iPartition corrupted my external

I have kind of a similar issue. Since you're so familiar with iPartition, perhaps you can assist me. I tried to resize my 1 TB FAT32 Seagate Freeagent external hard drive which has about 600 GB of media. I also asked iPartition to add a 60 GB partition becaues I planned on running Wii WBFS files from this partition. I started the process without backing up my data (I know, stupid) and it was taking forever so I let it go over night and didn't allow my Macbook to sleep. In the morning I woke up to see an error message from iPartition saying the program failed to read from my external and now it doesn't mount and the disk is corrupted. I'm looking into recovery options now, but I don't want to pay $100 for a program that I'm not sure will work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!