External Processing Power?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mooncheese, May 21, 2017.

1. mooncheese macrumors newbie

mooncheese

Hi there

I've got a early 2015 MacBook Pro, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3. I'm doing some 3D work and it's not happy - is there anything I can get to plug in to it to outsource the processing for rendering? (If that makes sense?).

I've had a Google but really don't know what it is I'm looking for (an external GPU?). Just something that can speed up rendering.

Thanks

Niki

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

External GPU is the solution you need (well, that or possibly move to a different computer ). Your 3D rendering performance is most affected by the GPU.

3. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Hopefully his render module supports GPU rendering. I think for now he should consider renting a render service or building a PC.

When it comes to the modelling and animation Macs just aren't good enough for 3D work because the APIs are old and built in graphics are mobile chips with limited memory.

But it depends how far you are pushing your hardware.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Using the MacBook you describe for 3D rendering is like joining the gumball race with a 1969 Volkswagen Beetle... What you need,is a much more powerful computer. The only laptops that's really fast when it comes to 3D renders of all kinds,is most likely the top models in the dell Alienware lineup.

5. mooncheese thread starter macrumors newbie

mooncheese

Love the brutal honesty! Thanks for the help, defo need to think again about the setup.
    All the best

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Unfortunately, if you wish to stay OS X, the Mac you will probably benefit most from (the forthcoming modular Mac Pro) won't be released until 2018. :(

One option could be trading in your 13-inch for a 2016 15-inch + an eGPU, but you could likely build a serious Windows workstation with that kind of money (one with a lot more than 4 cores, 16GB of RAM, and a single GPU.)

7. theitsage macrumors 6502a

An external GPU will definitely help. Don't buy Bizon's rebadged and overpriced enclosures.

You can learn more about setting up an eGPU with your 2015 13" MacBook Pro with this guide.

8. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Mantiz are offering the best external solution but it's not ready yet. The reason it is the best is because it also includes SSD connections and USB ports. Don't settle for anything less. Better to have everything in one box.