Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
Greetings all. I am looking for some suggestions for a projector that will run, and hook up smoothly on the Air. I don't need top of the line, but maybe around $700.00 is in the budget so far. I want to be able to show keynote presentations, website demos, and maybe some shorter video clips as well.

thanks,
michael

PS: I did some digging and wondered if the Optoma EP7150 was a good bet. The street price is around 800.00 (but I found a few that were around 500), and there is a newer model out now so the price should be dipping). 2.8 lbs, 2500:1 contrast ratio, 2,000 lumens... and XGA output. Anyone have any experience with this one?

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
I have a viewsonic DLP projector...works perfectly...use it for my lessons in class...no problem hooking up to MBA...gives 70X80 screen...only cost me 350.00 on ebay

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
I was thinking XGA projectors were 4500 lumens and the cheapest was in the price range of $1,200.00 on up. There is a huge difference between XGA and VGA. XGA is top-of-the-line...:eek:
damn straight with 4500 lumens!! you can watch that in full sun light...lol

mine is only 1500, serves it's purpose...the higher lumens you go the more you will pay

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
thanks...

We're just seeing some of those XGA's at the University of California, Berkeley campus and they are incredibly vivid and crisp on those huge screens. Too nice...:p

Hi again, I just stumbled across 2 places that are selling the Optoma EX-Pro 7150 for $519...
(http://photodynasty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5744)

At $200 cheaper it seems almost too good to be true, and I would guess they are selling grey market (foreign) stuff, or it is used. They do specify that it is new with US warranty though...

I did a bit more reading and it sounds like XGA is the way to go. This one doesn't have 4500 lumens, but is rated at 2000. Will the increased resolution of XGA as compared to VGA or SVGA put an increased load on the Air? And can the Air handle it? Again, most of my use will be website demos, keynotes, and maybe a few small videos (maybe 5 min clips).

THANKS folks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.