External RAID Array

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fedex1993, Jun 11, 2011.

1. fedex1993 macrumors member

fedex1993

Been doing a lot of work lately with photos, and video and realized right now that I only have a time machine backup drive and offsite backup. I was thinking downloading all the information would take forever and if my time machine backup drive failed and the internal that would be bad. I am trying to look for a good external drive that is raid 1 capabilities I keep looking at drobo and lacie and I keep seeing the positives and negatives about both. I was wondering what do you think I should go with? A drobo or lacie or get 2 usb drives and do software raid. Tell me what y'all have and what your rating is on it.

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Avoid software RAID, your CPU has better things to do with its clock cycles. I'd look for a good FireWire 800 RAID system until Thunderbolt devices are released.

3. fedex1993 thread starter macrumors member

fedex1993

Decided to go with the WD 2tb Studio mybook. I can always upgrade the hard drives and also its fw800 and amazon has it for $139, $127 off the original price which is really good.

4. ianma macrumors newbie

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo on our LAN which a MacBook Pro and a MacBook backup to via Time Machine. You can connect to it via Gigabit LAN or USB2, which I have found fine for backup purposes.

It has two HDDs in it which are configured as RAID1 (mirrored). Although it house two drives, its really easy to expand the capacity by adding two larger drives one at a time and waiting for data to replicate.

If you want offsite backup you can get a second one setup at another location and enable rsync which can be configured to keep them in sync over the internet. Though I should add that it is not something I have done myself.

Given it is a Linux box, there are plenty of plugins for additional functionality such as running servers for PHP website, databases, bittorrent and media streaming etc.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk