External Raid

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by WoOdPiPeS, Jul 8, 2009.

1. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I'd appreciate your opinions about my next shop. I need to buy an external RAID for my MacPro 2008, just for DVCPRO HD editing.

I have two options:
    G-TECH G-Raid3 + G-TECH PCIe 4port
    CALDIGIT VR + Fasta 4e

Would you tell me other options? What do you think about this ones?

Other option, is to get an internal card, for connecting my internal drives (I have the 4 bays full, but I think that I can install 2 more on the extra SATA connectors) like the CALDIGIT RAID Card.

Thanks in advance,

P.

2. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

It seems I've been successful... hehehe
    Any idea for a 100Mb/sec necessity?

Thanks,

P.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

DVCProHD doesn't necessitate a RAID... you can edit it just fine on FW drives.

If you are going to get the RAID, I'd go with the Caldigit. I use their RAID card. They have great support.

4. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Honestly if i was you i would just buy 2 FW 800 drives that are 7200rpm and do a software raid on them it should get you the speeds your looking for.

5. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

I've reading extensively about the Caldigit RAID card on this forum, and seems there are opposite opinions...
    Firewire drives under Software Raid, as GatePC suggest, is fine? When I said 100Mb/sec, is for a basic time line,.. it can be easily more. That's why I think in going to a Sata Raid; it's like a "prevention" action...
    My system is a MacPro octo core 2,8, 16Gb Ram, and 4 HD's, only 1 Hd for video... May I install a second drive on the empty dvd bay, and connect it to the main board... and do a software Raid???

As you see, I'm amateur on this area... and a bit lost too. Sorry for this.

P.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As far as I know DVCPro HD has a data rate of 5.8MB/S (720p/24fps) and 14MB/s (1080i/30fps), so 100MB/s with a FW800 software RAID might completely suffice, unless you want more than 7 or 17 video streams at the same time.

EDIT: According to this older (2005) article, FW800 RAIDs can achieve up to 73MB/s, which would mean 5 to 12 video streams. http://www.macworld.com/article/43820/2005/03/fw800raid.html

7. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for answering,
    are you sure that those numbers are the correct? At the moment, importing P2 files, the data rate is setted around 60Mbps...
    DVCPRO HD should be the double... am I missing something?

P.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

60Mbps or 120Mbps are Megabit per second, I meant MegaByte.

60Mbps is 7.5MB/s (60 divided by 8) and 120Mbps are 15MB/s.

I found those numbers looking for "DVCPro HD data rate" via a search engine of my choice.

9. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

I see... thanks for you aclaration.
    So, as you said, with a sofware Raid should be ok. As I'm using my 2nd and 3rd disk, and only the 4th is Video dedicated, I could install a 5th hd in my mac pro, and doing a sofware raid--- don't you think?
    Have you experience on this?

Thanks

P.

10. Chris7 macrumors 6502

I second the you don't need a RAID, and also, if you get one go Caldigit.;)

Their support it top notch. A 2-3 TB Caldigit VR configured in JBOD mode with FW800 would allow you an editing drive plus a reliable, hot swappable backup drive. Plus you can always switch to RAID 0 and add an ExpressCard/34 if you, for example, find yourself editing ProRes in the future.

11. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

The VR has an eSATA Extender included, in order to connect it straight to the 2 free sata conectors, hidden behind the main fans, on MacPro botherboard. Do you know if performance is much less than buying a eSata Pcie by Caldigit (Fasta-4e) for connecting the VR?

Thanks for supporting!

P.

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

it's the same speed... it's as if the RAID was an internal drive.

13. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Aclaration? Botherboard? I'm enjoying this. Except for the maths parts.

14. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

15. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Hi BigB,
    thanks, ... and what if I do a software RAID with two internal disks, ... it's much less performance?

Thanks, thanks again.

P.