External/remote power button for mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by antimax, Nov 17, 2012.

1. antimax macrumors newbie

Hello, basically, I keep my mac mini in a drawer. It's sort of a pain to access every time I want to turn it on, and I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a cable/converter/kit or something I could buy to extend my mac mini's power button, so I could have a button on my desk or something to press and turn on the computer. Seems like a simple enough idea, but I haven't been able to find something like this on the internet!

And yes, I'm aware that I can just sleep/wake the computer, but I turn off the power strip that my computer is hooked up to every night, so I need to actually be able to turn the computer on remotely. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not a great idea, as it could interfere with cooling. I'd leave it where air can circulate and hot air can dissipate more freely.

Mac mini - Important Product Information Guide

3. antimax thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know, the drawer is actually made of a metal mesh-type material, so there are no air flow issues.

----------

Hey flopticalcube, Does this mean that when I turn on the power strip, my mac mini will start up?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes, you may need to sleep the computer rather than shut it down first.

5. antimax thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, flopticaltube. I checked that box in system preferences, put my computer to sleep, then flipped the power strip off. When I flipped it back on, the computer started up! Very cool. But I wonder, do you think there could be any harm done to my computer by turning it off via the power strip while it's in sleep mode every day?