External Resolution for 19" LCD via VGA?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MarkCooz, Aug 31, 2009.

1. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

hey guys, I'm going to buy a mini dvi to vga adapter soon, I'm wondering. what would the resolution be if i hook up a 19" LCD to my macbook?

Specs are on my signature.

I'm a YouTube VLogger, and I need a lot of work space and such, it's kind confusing sometimes using spaces and such.

thanks for who ever can help me out

and do you guys think the picture on the LCD will turn out good?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Depends on the 19" LCD monitor that you purchase.:confused::confused::confused:

The monitor will most likely either be 1440x900 or 1680x1050, but YOU will have to check on that ;). Either will work over VGA out in extended desktop mode.

3. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just found out my brother borrowed it, but he'll return it tomorrow.
    It's not an expensive 19" LCD.
    We use to use on a desktop...

but those resolution that you mentioned looks better
    than 1280x800 lol :p

can i just use the external monitor and or use both at the same time?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You can use both just fine, but like I said you'll want to run in extended desktop mode so it's just not a duplicate for both screens.

Mind you, 1440x900 on a 19" screen is pretty low compared to 1280x800 on a 13" screen. For me, it's also about pixels per square inch rather than just total resolution.

5. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay i got it...

and yeah I just read it over and it does kinda low...
    but i'm thinking and wishing for the other resolution :D :)

I hope i can buy the adapter tomorrow or before I leave for another vacation.

6. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey sorry for the 2nd post but I just bought the mini dvi to vga.

I'll be getting the LCD monitor like in 2hrs because my brother is coming here in about 6 PM.

he said most likely the screen will be 14 something x 12 something is that correct? or is it like 1440x900?

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

*shrug* Guess you'll find out in like 2hrs ;)

8. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha thanks man :p I guess I will but then I'll leave for 2 days :/ then i'll be back to school 2 days after... what a weeeeek!
    If i use extended desktop, will i still see my dock and finder bar on the extended screen?

9. PAC88 macrumors 6502

extended desktop will just give you a clear screen with your desktop background (then just drag whatever you want onto to screen). I believe the only way to see the dock and finder is on mirror mode which is mostly pointless, unless you're running with the notebook's lid closed.

10. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey thanks for the help man. Yeah I finally got things to work the way i wanted to. and also @NewMacbookPlz thanks, and btw I got 1440x900 on a 19" Widescreen LCD. I think it's alright for me. Don't really need a HUGE work space, but it's good so far.

Can you guys tell me what the difference between these... I have an option, which is...

1440x900, 75 MHz *current one*
    1440x900, 59.9 MHz
    1440x900, 59.9 MHz
    and the resolution goes down but with 75MHz

11. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

keep it at 1440x900, 75 MHz *current one*

it the fastest refresh rate, meaning you'll see less flicker when turning your head fast and give less headaches.

if your seeing the desktop then your monitor can support it fine

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Either setting will work. Since it's an LCD and not a CRT, you probably won't even see a difference between the 75 and 60hz settings. I know on a CRT, 60hz would give me headaches as I could see the thing flickering, but with an LCD not at all either way.

13. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it, I'm fairly happy with the extended desktop. Since I'm a YouTuber and a Full time student. extended desktop will help a lot if i have lots of things to finish!

anyways thanks for the info. Possibly if i get a camera I'll post on what it looks like. the mini dvi to vga seems a little too easy to pull out... is that really how it is?

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The mini-dvi to vga adapter should click in a little if pushed. If not, it's a common "problem" with the Blackbooks...might apply to some whitebooks as well *shrug*