External SATA Harddrive Enclosure?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by EnterTheSwamp, Aug 13, 2010.

1. EnterTheSwamp macrumors member

I have a 1 TB WD 7200rpm SATA HDD in my PC that I wanted to take out and use as an external drive now that I have joined the MAC family with my purchase of the iMAC. Which do you reccomend?

2. mangrove macrumors 6502

OWC sells a bunch of them, but I got mine when purchasing a drive from them.

Many OWC enclosures have FW800 which IMHO is about the fastest you will find for Mac's since they do not yet support eSATA. Also I like the fact you get all cables the device supports so you're not looking for something else just to make it work.

Just remembered. Take a look at their Voyager Series, especially the Q model. If you clone it correctly you can even boot off these clones. Just pop a drive into it 2.5 or 3.5 and off you go.:cool:

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I have a 1 TB WD 7200rpm SATA HDD in my PC that I wanted to take out and use as an external drive now that I have joined the MAC family with my purchase of the iMAC. Which do you reccomend?"

$30 will get you one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Connecla...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253062702&sr=1-22

Even if you eventually buy a "full external enclosure", having a docking station around can be very handy sometimes. Just plug in whatever drive you have laying around and off you go.

I have one and it works fine -- you can even boot from these if you need to.

4. EnterTheSwamp thread starter macrumors member

Fishrman,
    I am not entirely sure that I know what I am looking at. Does the HDD stick out of the docking station? Would I then connect the USB cable to my imac? Would that be faster than FW800?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I am not entirely sure that I know what I am looking at. Does the HDD stick out of the docking station?"

Yes.

"Would I then connect the USB cable to my imac?"

Yes.

"Would that be faster than FW800?"

No. FW800 will be considerably faster, but it will cost considerably more.

Other World Computing _does_ have a "SATA docking station" that has USB2, FW400, FW800, and eSATA, but it costs about $80. Check their site for the "Voyager" series.

6. Bmaintz macrumors member

There must be a good "YouTube" somewhere that goes through the steps???

7. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502