External Screen and Cords

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skylights, Sep 1, 2013.

1. skylights macrumors newbie

I own a MacBook Air 13" (bought in 2012), and I have recently been given a computer screen which I would like to use my MacBook with. However, I did not get any cords with the screen, which is a HP 1825 (an 18" LCD), regulatory model P4830, product# P9021B. I also have Apple's Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. I know I am missing cords to connect the screen to my laptop, but I am unsure as to what I have to buy. Any advice would be very appreciated (and I would be happy to provide more specific information if it is needed; I only noted what I thought would be relevant, but I am obviously no expert).

2. simsaladimbamba

Since it is an old display (I saw HP references dating to 2002 and 2003), it has at least the standard of that time, VGA, and the newer interface called DVI.
    See here:
    [​IMG]

As you already have a MDP to VGA adapter, all you needs is a VGA cable, it should cost about 5 USD in many thrift stores or maybe 10 USD at one of those very local electronic supermarket chain stores.

3. skylights thread starter macrumors newbie

4. skylights thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking at buying the cable this morning, but I found various versions of these, "male" and "female". What kind of a combination do I need?

5. simsaladimbamba

Male, as the adapter is female and the display is also female.

6. skylights thread starter macrumors newbie

I now have the correct cord to connect my MacBook to the external screen, but the screen (HP 1825) has no power cord. What kind of a cable do I have to buy for that?

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can find the power cable in radio shack - it is just an ordinary cable that they use for powering PCs

8. skylights thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry for dragging this on, but the salespeople at RadioShack sold me the wrong cable, even after I've shown them a photo of what the plug in looks like on the monitor. I am attaching a photograph; could someone please tell me exactly what it is that I need to buy (or what it is called so I can order it online)? Thank you.

Attached Files:

9. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You probably have one already. Check your printer or computer. Maybe even your kettle!