External Screen for Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TallManNY, Feb 17, 2008.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I know my 2.2ghz santa rosa MB only has an integrated graphics card, but does it have enough juice to run an external 20 or 24 inch monitor at a high resolution? I'm considering just getting a screen instead of a desktop.

Any suggestions other than going with Apple's very outdated and expensive screens?

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

It sure does. I use a dell ultrasharp 20" widescreen. Works like a charm. I run it at its native 1680x1050 resolution.

3. phrogg macrumors newbie

tv as monitor for slideshow?

How do I get anything on my tv (Sharp 42 inch LCD) to show a slideshow.
    I used cables and all i see is my desktop's picture. No icons, nothing even when I run the slideshow.
    help.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The macbook drives upto a 23" ACD. However most 24" have the same resolution as a 23" ACD (cos they suck). 1920 x 1200 is the max resolution I think.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

What you're seeing the the second desktop in extended desktop mode. What program are you using to run a slideshow? If its Keynote, then you can go to the preferences and tell it to use the secondary display to show the presentation.

Any display, VGA or DVI, will be fine up to 1920x1200 resolution. The integrated graphics of the MacBook has enough power to drive the display, though don't expect to play modern 3D games (though same goes for the MacBook in general using the built-in display, too).

6. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Thanks.

I only ask that it play WoW. I find that the framerate is perfectly acceptable with relatively low settings turned on for WoW when I'm using the 13 inch screen. If it can duplicate that on a 20" or even a 24" that would be fantastic. But the desktop isn't really for WoW. I really need more desk space for work. Getting a display could save me from having to buy a desktop for a while.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Honestly, for your money, a Dell 19" would be nice. They are very nice and are much cheaper than the ACDs (and they look pretty good for a Dell :p). :)

Check them out (and check Amazon's prices too; it's often cheaper there).