External Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abacus2039, May 24, 2014.

1. Abacus2039 macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry if this has been posted before. I used search but couldn't find any posts that answered my question.

I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro. It will probably be one of the last of the non-retina 13s. I don't need ultra-high resolution for my work, as I'm an accountant.

TBO most of the time the machine will be running Windows (Bootcamp or virtualized) because my accounting and tax software is win only.

Why buy a MacBook at all? Simple - it's the only laptop I can buy with a 16:10 screen. 16:9 just doesn't cut the mustard.

But here's the thing. My external monitors at home and in the office are 1400 x 900 native resolution.

Will a MacBook Pro with Intel integrated graphics support 1400 x 900 on an external monitor?

Alternatively, where can I find a list of resolutions that the MacBook Pro will support on an external monitor?

Thanks in advance.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

A standard non-retina cMBP 13" with Intel HD 4000 can support up to two external displays running at 2560x1600 each.

As long as mirroring isn't used, the external display can be driven at its native resolution.

3. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

Officially, Apple's materials say it can drive one "up to 2560 by 1600 pixels". There's only one Thunderbolt/Mini-DisplayPort. Some Thunderbolt docks will allow you to connect a second external display. I haven't tried it personally, but I know this was the same GPU used in the Late 2012 13" rMBP and that can drive two displays in addition to its internal one. I'm guessing if anything, Apple doesn't want to officially state it due to the single port.

The best place to look is http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

"Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors."