External Seagate hard drive?

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
918
9
Ok, I'm planning on getting an external harddrive and from what I've read the Seagate 200GB USB/firewire drive seems to be a pretty good choice. It seems though most of the reviews I've read were all from Windows users, and I am curious if anyone here has used one w/ a mac and has any thoughts on it?

Also Im curious about the 1 touch backup button feature. I won't be using this as Ill be using it to manually store and retrieve files, so is there a way to disable this so I don't accidently hit it and it starts backing up? or does it say ask you to confirm on screen before a backup like that begins?

Thanks.
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Haven't used it but it should be good.

The One Touch features requires software to be installed on the PC... ususally they don't have a Mac version but I don;t know for sure about that model. Anyway, no software, no accidental backup...
 

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
420
0
USA
tag said:
Ok, I'm planning on getting an external harddrive and from what I've read the Seagate 200GB USB/firewire drive seems to be a pretty good choice. It seems though most of the reviews I've read were all from Windows users, and I am curious if anyone here has used one w/ a mac and has any thoughts on it?
You should have no worries going for Seagate - it's a good brand and Seagate usually provides a good warranrty too.

tag said:
Also Im curious about the 1 touch backup button feature. I won't be using this as Ill be using it to manually store and retrieve files, so is there a way to disable this so I don't accidently hit it and it starts backing up? or does it say ask you to confirm on screen before a backup like that begins?
As CanadaRAM said, this requires the backup software to be installed on the machine (which then continuously monitors for a backup request). It's unlikely that you'd have software for the Mac included in this package. But even if you do, the option to turn off the one touch backup would definitely exist. Many people would want to have a control over how and when they do backups. :)
 

tag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
918
9
CanadaRAM said:
The One Touch features requires software to be installed on the PC... ususally they don't have a Mac version but I don;t know for sure about that model. Anyway, no software, no accidental backup...
Great thanks for that info.
 

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
704
9
Seagate is the only brand I consider now...they are the only people to offer a 5 year warranty on all of their drives. Everyone else, Maxtor, WD, only offer 1 year. Bah to that.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,604
146
Bergen, Norway
wiseguy27 said:
It's unlikely that you'd have software for the Mac included in this package.
I've got a brand new 400 GB Seagate USB2/FireWire external hard drive (loaning, formatting and checking it for the buyer), and that came with an "back up Extra Value CD" for both PC and Mac, which includes a piece of backup software called BounceBack Express. I have no idea if it's any good, or if it even works, but it is there... ;)
 

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
4,016
314
.. London ..
I just brought a maxtor 300GB. Best performance/price of all. Also at the top of the desktop scoreboard at www.storagereview.com

it's sitting in a cheap old firewire external enclosure I brought 3 years ago for £30. Works fine with my PB, full capacity accessible and all.

some say maxors are dodgy, but on average all the main brands are much the same. I keep backups of the most important stuff anyway.

xoxo Tomato
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
RedTomato said:
I just brought a maxtor 300GB. Best performance/price of all. Also at the top of the desktop scoreboard at www.storagereview.com

it's sitting in a cheap old firewire external enclosure I brought 3 years ago for £30. Works fine with my PB, full capacity accessible and all.

some say maxors are dodgy, but on average all the main brands are much the same. I keep backups of the most important stuff anyway.

xoxo Tomato
Maxtors are far better than they used to be they are just stuck with a bad rep they got years back. Now they actually quite reliable drives, I just think that seagate for the bit extra you pay are defiantly worth it as they are quieter and have a 5yr warranty..

SHadOW :cool:
 

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
420
0
USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I've got a brand new 400 GB Seagate USB2/FireWire external hard drive (loaning, formatting and checking it for the buyer), and that came with an "back up Extra Value CD" for both PC and Mac, which includes a piece of backup software called BounceBack Express. I have no idea if it's any good, or if it even works, but it is there... ;)
I've had a look at BounceBack Express but never used it. For simple backup it seems good enough.
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
I got a seagate 300gb last feb, I remember some glitch with the software they provided, I ended up solving it for them, funny cause I don't know nuthin 'bout 'puters.

anyway, others have recommended superduper, and I have used it.

from versiontracker.com
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22126

I was doing some research, and was looking at getting the westerndigital media center 300gb drive, but found out it was not very mac friendly at the time (software or chipset, can't remember, might not of had oxford chipset i think).

Good luck, and as a recent and first time victim of HD failure, backup like a beeping garbage truck!