external slim blu-ray burner powered by single usb

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cardsdoc, Jul 23, 2012.

1. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a slim external blu-ray burner for my retina mbp. It seems most require two usb ports for power which is problematic on the retina mbp as they are on opposite sides. The only option I found so far is this Digistor drive. Am I missing other options? Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

most give you the option for 2 incase you have a low power USB port, with newer macs you probably don't need to use the second port.

i've got an older asus external, and it works fine on one port on my retina mpb

3. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. That's helpful although I've read mixed reports on whether people need to use the second port on modern macs and would like to be sure before I purchase. The other drives I've considered are the following. Any feedback on these regarding power needs on a retina MBP?

Samung SE-506AB/TSBD
    LG BP40NS20
    OWC OWCMRSSBDR6X

4. Dokk macrumors regular

I chatted with OWC about this one tonight and they said that it should work fine on one plug in most situations. Unfortunately, they also confirmed my fear that if it did need the second plug for some reason, you'd be SOL because the Y-split only provides a short length of chord for each plug.

I, too, was curious about the LG and Samsung since both have Prime-eligible shipping.

So any update? Did you take the plunge with one? Anyone else able to weigh in?