External Sound Card

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by neasuciu, Feb 16, 2010.

1. neasuciu macrumors newbie

neasuciu

Hy, guys!

I need some help.

I want to buy an external sound card for a 5.1 sound sistem.
    First of all i looked a bit on this forum and ai didn't found anithing but if i've searched wrong please redirect me to that discussion.

Otherwise, i saw that Griffin Firewave is the most comon solution, but unfortunately they don't make this model and they don't have another one that replaced the old model - they just don't fabricate it. :mad:

So, i need an external sound card that cand conect it to my firewave port and to have 3 3.5 jack slots for the 5.1 sound sistem.

I don't want to spend more than 100 $ on it.

i have an 2007 imac 20' with 10.5.9 leopard on it.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What kind of speakers do you have? You might be able to just use a toslink cable, which would save you a lot of money and other things.

3. neasuciu thread starter macrumors newbie

neasuciu

well that's another thing i'm concerned.
    Right now, i have a Logitech X530 sound sistem and it has 3 jacks black, green and orange.

From my knowledge, i don't know that there is a cable/adaptor from those 3 jacks to my firewave.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Unfortunately the Firewire is really unchallenged. There are plenty of headphone splitters which will put sound through all speakers, though not in 5.1.

5. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

6. neasuciu thread starter macrumors newbie

neasuciu

Thank you Superman. :D
    i'm trying to make an order on one of the websites that still sell Firewave.

Let's hope that i get lucky.

later edit: unfortunately i could not buy any of it. The only online store that is selling it has a problem with pay pal account an di cannot make the payment.

SO the question is still alive: does anyone know what other products (sound cards) i can use for conecting (through digital "hole") a 5.1 sound sistem?

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm confused by this question.

8. neasuciu thread starter macrumors newbie

neasuciu

Let me put it this way: i need an external sound card that i can use with a 5.1 sound sistem.

The external sound card must have:
    a connection trough my firewave slot
    3 jack-holes for the sound sistem
    not expensive - i want to spend about 60 $ - so M-Audio is out of the question

The only one that i know that it works is Griffin Fiewave but they don't manufacture it and i can't find any store that sell's it.

I have a 20' - 2008 iMac aluminium with digital output.

I want as many optinions that you can give it to me :D

9. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Why does it need to connect through firewire? :confused: I think that will limit already limited options.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm not sure about that. The reality is there aren't really that many options to begin with because of it being a Mac and the price range.

OP, the only two solutions at your price range I know of have been listed above.

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

I think you'd be better off ditching the Logitech system and getting something that accepts optical connections.

Most FireWire audio interfaces are not made with 5.1 audio in mind. They are primarily for audio recording and listening thru stereo monitors. None of them cost $60.

12. neasuciu thread starter macrumors newbie

neasuciu

I want to conect it through digital output and i don't know it's name :confused:
    So what is it's name?

13. billib macrumors member

billib

Try Amazon

I got mine from Amazon. The Griffin is wonderful.
    I don't know if they will ship too Romania.

14. larpus macrumors newbie

Hey.

I'm looking for the same thing that neasuciu is looking for... BUT i don't care if it's firewire, usb, optical... and i don't really care about price range!

Wich one would you guys recommend for me since Griffin FireWave is not an option?

Thanks!

EDIT: Trust 5.1 External Surround Sound Card this one works for MAC or just PC? (At the website says only PC, but who knows...)