External sound problem - NOT 'red light' related. R-channel dead.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gary in Pa, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Gary in Pa macrumors newbie

I have a white 13" MacBook. I'm TOTALLY Mac illiterate. I bought the Mac because I just about to dig my eyes out in frustration dealing with MS Vista.

I like the MacBook.....but about a year and a half ago, the right channel of my 3.1 speaker setup cut out. It worked fine for the 1/1.5 years of ownership.

Internal speakers? Work just fine.
    Headphones? Perfect stereo.
    External speakers with subwoofer? Right channel is dead.

I've tried max laptop volume and creeping volume on the actual speaker up. I've tried max external speaker volume and creeping the Mac volume up.
    I downloaded a ToneTester program.......Internal speakers and headphones just fine. 3.1 externals? Right channel dead.

I don't have the red-light jack issue. My Sound Output toggles between Headphones and Internal Speakers output perfectly.

About 7 months ago while putzing with all the settings, I got it all back out-of-the-blue. Perfect stereo with subwoofer. I had it for about 2 months and then poof - right channel faded again.

What is my Mac's problem? How do I fix it?

PLEASE! I LOVE to listen to iTunes Radio.....but it SUCKS on inernal speakers!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Sounds like the problem is with your speakers, not your Mac. Try plugging your speakers into a different source and see what happens.