External speaker stopped working, any tips?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Polekat, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

My wife's 3Gs external speaker stopped working. It is out of warranty and we just need to get through the next 3-4 months in order to get a new iPhone5 (4Gs?) Any tips/suggestions on possible repair attempts?

Yes the mute switch is not muted
    yes it is the speaker and not the mic I am talking about here.
    When receiving a call, the phone vibes but doesn't ring
    playing music without headphones and no sound
    text messages - no sound
    Speakerphone - no sound

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Try plugging in the earbuds and removing them several times, from the headphone jack. That usually fixes it.

3. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

4. alexrah macrumors newbie

same here happened today

hi, iPhone 3gs speaker stopped working while listening to some music.
    it's nothing about headphone (already tried cleaning, moving, spinning) or the mute switch...
    I dont know what to do... a couple if times it suddenly played music again while moving up the volume...
    I tried to call voicemail and of course i dont get any handfree loudspeaker.
    any clues?

5. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

6. alexrah macrumors newbie

i was thinking about buying this spare part http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-3GS-Dock-Connector/IF142-006 way expensive then yours but still dont know if it's my case...i got audio working a couple of times... heard the blip recording a video. besides im worried about re-attaching the cables after disassembly...do u know of any video about reattaching the cables?

7. jkd macrumors newbie

external speaker problems

Help if you can. Gotta Iphone 3g second hand it is jailbroken and the external speaker has never worked, tried all the remedies( different headphones, pulling them in and out, hard reboot) nothing. I know the speaker isn't shot cause it's new. Little background at first this thing wouldn't Wi-Fi either, I could stand this winterboard thing so I took it off and walla wi-fi works. So any suggestions this person has tons of packages on here so is there one that messes with the speakers?

Thanks for any suggestions!

8. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

Yea, check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9buJc5o50

I was going to do it, and then after watching the video my wife wanted to do it. It really was easy and she did it herself. As a matter of fact, she installed the replacement, the first one we got was defective and there was a loud buzzing noise during phone calls. She then took that one out and put in her old one while we waited for a replacement. She then put the replacement in and after several days of not having as good a signal, she took it back out and put in the original (non-working) one. No issues.

9. alexrah macrumors newbie

i see...it looks like these replacements assemblies are made up with cheap antennas.
    for my iPhone meanwhile i figured it's hardware issue as well, so im still looking for a good replacement dock connector, mean with the same antenna signal as the original one

10. alexrah macrumors newbie

ok, done myself, bought a dock replacement from ebay at 15 € then i ended up with the antenna issue as above, pealed off the cheap antenna and swap it with the original one. now I got everything working, dock connector, microphone, speaker and the old antenna attached to the assembly.

EDIT: just heat the antenna shield enough with a hot air gun to peal it off without damages

11. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

I guess I will give this a shot in the morning

12. alexrah macrumors newbie

go for it! it's all day now...i did almost 200km today and I got NO ISSUES AT ALL with the old antenna attached to the new Dock Connector.

Yesterday I wasn't even able to make a call walking around with the cheap antenna replacement!

This way, as long as It's not an antenna issue, Dock Connectors can be replaced w/out getting mad ! :)

13. Polekat thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

Does the antenna just stick on? Is it attached in any way to a board of some sort or anything?

14. alexrah macrumors newbie

the antenna has 2 points that must be placed in the right way, that is, first a screw hole in the antenna have to be placed above the right screw hole in the dock assembly (seen from above), second a small metal "finger" on the antenna have to touch the metal bezel of the iphone case. Then attach cable label 7 (the antenna indeed) and it's done. the antenna works by touching these 2 points and of course through the ribbon cable labeled 7.

couple of tips:
    Before pealing it off just look how these 2 points are located and how they are related to other parts. that's it...it's only glued on the dock connector so warm it up a couple of minutes with an hair dryer then carefully peal off, there are small holes in the antenna sheet to ease alignment with the dock assembly.
    To attach it back to dock assembly, start from aligning the screw hole then check alignment on the small holes and gently push it. done.

15. jsr0101 macrumors newbie

Same issue

Guys,

Same issue on my iphone 3gs. I even replaced the dock connector, but didn't work. Everything works but not the speaker. Anyone have any idea?

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!

16. jsr0101 macrumors newbie

Anyone?