External speakers for a PowerBook 15"

arrakis73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Hallo,

I have just bought my WONDERFUL PowerBook 15" and I would like to add some external speakers.

I am not really an expert about audio & speakers... I will use speakers mainly for playing audio CD and DVD movies during my little breaks.

Does anyone could suggest me a good (and quite affordable) solution?

I remember I am in Italy and not all products are always available.

Thanking in advance, :)

Andrea Liana

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I wouldn't recommend buying anything from apple because they have a huge tendency to overprice just about everything they sell. Go to newegg.com and look at speakers over there. What type of sound are you looking, do you want really bassy or a thiner sound? How many speakers do you want, do you want a small setup like a 2.1 or do you want a big setup like a 5 or 6.1?

arrakis73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
JzzTrump22 said:
I wouldn't recommend buying anything from apple because they have a huge tendency to overprice just about everything they sell. Go to newegg.com and look at speakers over there. What type of sound are you looking, do you want really bassy or a thiner sound? How many speakers do you want, do you want a small setup like a 2.1 or do you want a big setup like a 5 or 6.1?
I think a small setup could be enough, since my PB will be mainly used in my office.... I don't think to change my office into an home theatre :D .
The room size is about 4m x 4m, and overhelming sound is not needed.
But if you think that a big setup means a REALLY HUGE improvement, I could change my opinion. :rolleyes:

nerdykarim

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
atlanta, ga
arrakis73 said:
I think a small setup could be enough, since my PB will be mainly used in my office.... I don't think to change my office into an home theatre :D .
The room size is about 4m x 4m, and overhelming sound is not needed.
But if you think that a big setup means a REALLY HUGE improvement, I could change my opinion. :rolleyes:
i just bought a set of creative inspire t3000's. there's a ten dollar mail in rebate on them, too (select retailers-best price is 33.00 from buy.com). they're waay less expensive than the soundsticks, and sound pretty good. check out amazon for reviews.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
nerdykarim said:
i just bought a set of creative inspire t3000's. there's a ten dollar mail in rebate on them, too (select retailers-best price is 33.00 from buy.com). they're waay less expensive than the soundsticks, and sound pretty good. check out amazon for reviews.
The OP is from Italy, so US-only rebates and deals are not likely to be helpful to them.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
The OP is from Italy, so US-only rebates and deals are not likely to be helpful to them.
not to hijack this thread but i have a similar search going. Right now i have a set of creative 5.1 (5100's? Entry level about 2 years ago) hooked up to my PC. I want to get something that has really good sound reproduction. I mainly listen to music on my computer and rarel watch DVD's. So i am fairly certain i can ditch 5.1 and drop down to 2.1. I do play some FPS where the 5.1 was really cool, but again i would be willing to go to 5.1. lets not talk about price but quality. What speakers outthere really shine?

arrakis73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Flyinace2000 said:
not to hijack this thread but i have a similar search going. Right now i have a set of creative 5.1 (5100's? Entry level about 2 years ago) hooked up to my PC. I want to get something that has really good sound reproduction. I mainly listen to music on my computer and rarel watch DVD's. So i am fairly certain i can ditch 5.1 and drop down to 2.1. I do play some FPS where the 5.1 was really cool, but again i would be willing to go to 5.1. lets not talk about price but quality. What speakers outthere really shine?

.. mmmm.. Same PowerBook, same problem :D

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Just check out newegg. They have excellent prices on their speakers. Plus you can read all the reviews for system. Many people on here would also agree with me on this. I bought my 5.1 from newegg and not only is it a kick ass system, it was $50.00 and it got here in 2 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.