External Speakers not Reading on my macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kathadoro, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Kathadoro macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,
    I have logitech speakers that I use with my macbook (since my ihome got wet and stopped working last week: don't put that **** on your windowsill, people!). They worked fine for about a week; I plug them into the USB port, go to system preferences and choose them from the output options. A few days ago, though, they stopped appearing in the output options menu in system preferences. I tried cleaning off the usb and usb port (but i can still plug my ipod into it, so I don't know). The blue power/connection light on the speakers is on, so they are reading the connection, but the macbook isn't. Any ideas?

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Reboot. 99.9% of the time, that's all you need. USB speakers are a strange idea to begin with--audio subsystems aren't supposed to be handed off to a high-overhead bus. Once the system is engaged, it doesn't always release the resources properly after a certain number of sleep/wake events, so your audio gets sent to a device enumerated in the system that doesn't actually connect to anything.