external speakers to go with macbook pro laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

i would like an external pair, under $60.00, that I can use with my laptop, i play DVDs & also need to use headphones, as i dont want to wake people up in home.

also, my desk space is tight so compact ones would be good, I dont need them to have the biggest sound or subwoofers & all that, just something fairly good. So compact form factor is more important than big sound for me.

something where I can plug headphones into the speakers, & unplug when I want sound out of the speakers.

The laptop's built in speakers are ok, but I dont want to keep plugging & unplugging headphones from the headphone jack & risk wearing it out too soon.

2. MAGNUStm macrumors member

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

What size MBP do you have? I can't imagine a $60 set of speakers sounding better than a 15" or 17" MBP. Louder maybe.

Audio Technica make some USB headphones, but I wouldn't worry about that jack. My old non unibody MBP used to cop some abuse to the headphone port when I used to have an optical cable plugged in most of the time. I trashed a couple of cables, levering it within the jack and it was always ok.

4. BuckyN8 macrumors newbie

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

my mac is a 15 inch macbok pro

would usb headphones plugged into my usb hub play the sound through them instead of through the laptop? when I want to listen privately?

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

You need to open up Sound in System Preferences and choose USB. The USB headphones will take the digital signal from the USB port and convert it to analog with its own DAC (digital to analog converter).

I really wouldn't worry about stressing that headphone port.

If you want cheap sound have a look around locally for an amplifier and bookshelf speakers. Good amplifier brands include NAD, Proton, Rotel, Onkyo, etc etc. See whats available and google it.

7. MiamiC70 macrumors regular

I picked up B&W MM-1's and they sound and look terrific.