External Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steve jones, Jan 20, 2012.

1. steve jones macrumors newbie

I'm running OS X 10.4.11 on an iMac 24". I recently used Onyx to clear some HD space and since then the external speakers won't work. The internal speaker is fine and the externals are live and working (I've tried them on another m/c). When I look at System Preferences > Sound there is only an Internal Speakers option (I'm sure there was an external option previously). Has something been deleted? If so can anyone tel me what and if I can restore it or download it? Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

What scripts did you run in Onyx? You should be able to get the option back:

Find Audio Midi Setup in Utilities folder, on the left hand side there should be Built-In Output. Select it and then use the gearwheel at the bottom of the panel to make sure it says "Use this device for sound output". Hope this works for you. I am having problems getting my external speakers to work after the Lion upgrade, but this should work for internal speakers OK.

If Built-In Output does not appear in the left hand column, use the plus sign at the very bottom and see if that finds it for you. Let me know how you get on.

3. steve jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Onyx – ran: Cleaning – Browsers' Cache, Download Cache, Browsers' History, Recent Searches. Can't see any way of getting anything back.

Tried Audio Midi Setup and there are only default options available (no alternative when I click on Default or System Output. Audio Output says: "Output not supported". I've attached a jpeg of the screen (hopefully).

Thanks for you help so far – any further advice gratefully received.

Attached Files:

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Something got messed up truly there. Can you TM back to before you ran Onyx?

5. steve jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Embarrassing, major c**k up on my part (well partially). When I checked the cables the jack was in the input socket. I think my daughter had taken it out to use headphones and put it back in the wrong socket. When I tried the speakers on another m/c I just unplugged it and put it back in the same place without checking. I think me putting the problem down to Onyx was just a coincidence, all seems to be well now.

Thanks for your help.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Glad your up and running again....Onyx is pretty safe really...Been using it since the Lion version came out without drama....On the whole I let my Mac's look after themselves though...Just the odd script here and there when I do use it.