External Speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CentralFC, Jun 13, 2012.

1. CentralFC macrumors member

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get your personal opinions and preferences with external speakers. What brand do you prefer, what size works and what specs are significant to note when looking at and comparing speakers?

I'm looking into some under $70-80 for my first year at Northwestern next year. I have a 2011 13" MBP. Any suggestions are welcome!

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

Any external system is going to sound much better than your laptop speakers. I wanted something on the smaller side, so I got these: http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-FX3022-Expressionist-Speaker/dp/B001IWOBA4.

Some things to think about:
    Subwoofer - you want this especially if you play video games, or listen to music with bass.

Frequency Response- this tells you what sounds the speakers can reproduce... ideally you would want 20hz - 20000hz so it could produce anything a human could hear, but 60hz - 16000hz seems pretty common and tends to take care of most needs.

Wattage - In general, the higher the system's wattage, the louder you can play they speakers and still have them sound good