External SSD 27" iMac late 2013 issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Truefan31, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

So I got a 512 crucial mx100 ssd, as seagate tb adapter and connecting thru tb. I created a partition thru disk utility, used ccc to clone the osx to the ssd to be used as a boot drive. That works well. 256 gb partition (including recovery).

I have a bootcamp partition as well with windows 8. I wanted to put that into the 2nd partition. I used aomei to clone the partition to my 2nd partition on the ssd. Seemed ok.

But when I restart and hold option down it doesn't show my ssd partitions at all, just the internal apple hd and the windows bc drive. And the recovery. I go to disk utility and my Mac ssd is grayed out, says I'll need to prolly reformat and restore. The ssd overall is good. If I just put the osx on there it works no problem (booting in 20 seconds is great btw). But after I try to add the windows bc partition it seems to mess up. Any ideas?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I would use WinClone to create your Windows partition on the SSD. I have not used Aomel, but in a quick glance at the web site, I didn't see where it was Mac compatible. WinClone works every time for me. :)

https://twocanoes.com/winclone/

3. Truefan31, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

External SSD 27" iMac late 2013 issue

So I can just get the base product?

I read that u must delete the internal bc partition before trying to restart in the ssd. Is this true? Is like to make sure so I don't lose the bc partition I made before deleting

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You may find some useful information here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1692097&page=9

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

+1 for WinClone. It is the best way to back up, move, resize and restore BootCamp installations on the Mac. It's well worth the $30. Version 4 really sped things up from prior incarnations with multiprocessor support.

6. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Ok I'll try that then. Didn't understand why cloning my bc partition was making my Mac ssd partition unreadable.

7. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

Windows cannot boot from Thunderbolt, as far as I remember. The support is not there yet.

EDIT: It looks like people have come up with hacks for booting Windows from TB; however official support is still not there. Apparently Microsoft does not like people booting Windows from an external drive anyway, so official support may never be available.

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Booting Windows from external Thunderbolt SSDs works fine for me on several systems with no "special hacks" involved. :cool:

I simply use WinClone to move my internal installation over to the external drive.

It doesn't work with all Thunderbolt enclosures, however. :(

9. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I have a seagate tb adapter. Should work. I'll use winclone this time and see if it works

10. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The Seagate is one which works fine. Only caution is older high-performance high-power SSDs of 512GB (840 Pro, Crucial M4) would draw too much power. Smaller older drives are fine, and possibly some of the new low-power ones should be OK. You can get the plastic "shell" on eBay to make your SSD installation look finished.

Good luck....

11. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah that's what I did. I got the new crucial mx100 512 gb ssd.

12. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You should be good-to-go then. :)

Let us know how it goes.

13. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Thanks. I literally am doing this so my son can play titanfall and steam lol. On the internal partition it's relatively quick but nothing like an ssd. It looks beautiful though lol

14. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Just curious could u have 2 ssd one in each tb port, 1 for Mac osx boot and the other for windows bootcamp?

15. hfg, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have not personally tried that, however you might search around on these forums to see if anyone else has done it. I would think that would work fine.

I have wanted to find a dual drive Thunderbolt enclosure in order to do just that, but so far I haven't found a dual drive enclosure which would boot Windows on a Mac.

16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes you can.

17. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Hmm. Have 512 gb ssd in each tb port, 1 for osx boot the other windows bc. Internal hd for media?

18. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Why not? It's very possible.