Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james_sweatyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Melbourne
Weird one, and I’ll preface by saying I know iPadOS is in beta, so it COULD be a bug.

Recently bought the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, with the intent of using my 10.5” iPad Pro with a Samsung T5 SSD.

One of the more celebrated features of iPadOS is the support for these drives. But when connected via the adapter, it still says not enough power.
Do external drives ONLY work with USB C equipped iPads?
Did I miss this somewhere in the documentation?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Weird one, and I’ll preface by saying I know iPadOS is in beta, so it COULD be a bug.

Recently bought the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, with the intent of using my 10.5” iPad Pro with a Samsung T5 SSD.

One of the more celebrated features of iPadOS is the support for these drives. But when connected via the adapter, it still says not enough power.

Lightning provides little power - much less than USB-C - so a lot of attached devices will require external power to be provided.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

You’ll need a connector with more power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.