External SSD for itunes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KENTW, Nov 15, 2015.

1. KENTW macrumors member

Appreciate lots of SSD posts on here, but my question is more of a general one and would appreciate your opinions.

I have just got my new Late 2015 5k iMac i5/512 SSD/395 (Replaces my now very old early 2009).

I have always kept my iTunes library on an external USB2 1TB spring drive. I was considering treating my new iMac to a new external drive.... Samsung EVO 850 (or similar) in a USB3 casing. I don't mind spending the cash but i am starting to think it maybe overkill. I basically only use my external for my iTunes (100gb) and as a secondary backup location for my photos and important docs (Crashplan). Not sure i am going to see a huge benefit from the upgrade - wonder what you guys who have an external SSD for iTunes think?

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

It's not necessary in terms of read speed. A 4200 RPM drive is sufficient for audio, even high resolution audio. And it's quiet too. Some people say that SSDs improve audio quality. That is an easily testable proposition via thumb drive, SD card, etc. if you don't have an SSD. I've used 4200 RPM drives in very high end audio systems and been more than satisfied.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's very quiet. Many drives are not quiet.

3. KENTW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.... i think my 1TB USB2 drive will do for now.... only downside is waiting for it to spin up when its been idle for a while..... I am thinking of installing a Sonos system in the future (Speakers in ceilings etc...) and may opt for an SSD upgrade when i come to implement that.

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

5. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Buy yourself a 128gb SD Card (Pretty cheap now) - put it on the SD slot in the back and voila. out of site, no noise, fast storage for iTunes...

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless