External SSD keeps ejecting itself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by funkywon, Feb 5, 2013.

1. funkywon macrumors newbie

Hi, i have a big problem, so any help would be really appreciated!
    I bought a SSD (Samsung 840 non-pro) for my macbook pro and I'm trying to clone my hard drive to the SSD. The ssd is connected per USB in an external case (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0084Z8DXE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00).
    Problem is that whenever I try to, the SSD keeps ejecting itself all the time, so the process of cloning aborts :((. Any ideas on what I could do? Please help, I'm pretty desperate by now, thnx!!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the external enclosure/adapter not being able to provide ample power to the SSD. Made no sense to me, but as soon as I tried a new enclosure with the SAME USB Cable it worked.

I tested it on both a PC and MAC with two different SSDs and two HDDs the same results.

3. funkywon thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick reply...interesting, which case did work for you? its kind of a guessing game since there is no information available about that on the cases...

4. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I have a Sandisk SSD 480 Extreme II that keeps self ejecting with the error
    'disk not ejected properly'

I have it on a Vantec 6G SATA to USB 3. (New MacPro)
    No problems with my 240 Sandisks

I'm transferring very large 4k files (100gigs)
    And getting these intermittent ejections.

I'm starting to suspect the interface.
    Maybe the power is the issue for continuous single file writes on the larger 480.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I had this problem and it was related to the enclosure. Now I have an Akasa one (SATA-USB3). However, my SATAIII SSD only reaches SATAI speed... probably an enclosure-related issue, but at least it doesn't keep ejecting itself.