External SSD RAID 0 via Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ojaysimsanson, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ojaysimsanson macrumors member

Is this possible at all? I have two intel SSD 80GB each and a Vertex 3 inside my Macbook Pro. Is there any controller/chip/adaptor that will plug into the sata port once in RAID 0 and connect via Thunderbolt. I'd probably buy the Thunderbolt cable from Apple, and connect it to this enclosure.
    I know such a thing exists for USB (obviously how they make external drives, but do they have that for Thunderbolt) and if so where is it possible to get one?
    Thanks for the help

2. jsolares macrumors 6502a

You could use a Pegasus R4 it can host 4 devices, currently i haven't seen anything with only 2 devices

3. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Expresscard bandwidth is quite low for this purpose, your RAID array would be bottlenecked for sure. I think that adaptor was made mainly for backward compatibility with existing expresscard solutions, Sonnett makes quite a few expresscards.

How did you get 3 SSDs into your MBP?

4. ojaysimsanson thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I don't have 3 SSDs. I have one HDD in there, and one Vertex 3 SSD. I have two seperate 80gb Intel SSDs. So if I take two, and Raid them, then connect them through a SATA adaptor to Thunderbolt, I know I would be limited by the speed of the SSD because it is not the fastest one, they were cheaper. But I think if I could RAID them and put them in an adaptor that will let me plug in my SSDs through SATA and would basically have an output for Thunderbolt.
    Any help ?

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Pegasus R4 enclosure + 2 2.5"-to-3.5" caddy + your SSDs
    Make sure 2 of the bays are empty.

Or wait for a 2-bay model to be released. Thunderbolt is more popular than people think :)

6. ojaysimsanson thread starter macrumors member

where would I be able to buy the enclosure alone?

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The future.