External SSD random access TB vs USB3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ploki, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Ploki macrumors 68010

Does anyone know whether running SSD off TB will give better random access times?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Yes and no it wont. Access time is not bound by bandwidth. It might actually be slower because of PCI negotiation. You can probably only tell with a synthetic benchmark.

3. kiantech macrumors regular

PCI negotiation? You're implying that USB3 might be faster because of the PCI negotiation latency over thunderbolt? What do you think the USB controller uses. Does your graphics card slow down because of PCI negotiation? Don't make up something like that.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

No I answered without USB in the equation. Apologies. I was commenting against the internal SATA chipset vs. TB.
    You should probably be less aggressive when reaching out for an answer.
    "Does your graphics card slow down because of PCI negotiation? Don't make up something like that." So classic:p
    Historically USB has more latency than TB whether that manifests in any gain or loss? A synthetic metric would most likely have to be used.

5. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68010

Too bad there aren't any USB3.0/TB combo enclosures. I will most likely go with TB.

Edit: that is, if i find one here.
    Which means not for a while.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I can't believe there are none yet either. I did find a thread at Apple where they are calling TB "stillborn". You can get cases with eSATA, FW400/800, USB2/3, SAS and combo's but no TB. You have to buy the whole thing including a slow unneeded HDD or a spendy SSD drive. TB is for RAID chassis in mind. sucks. Right now TB is good for dongle adapters only apparently and display connections to the 1 display you can buy. Of course it is minidisplay compatible but that is no consolation. Isn't TB at least 2 years old?

7. kiantech macrumors regular

There is, and I own it. Really expensive though, Drobo 5D.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I bought a 500GB Buffalo Mini Station, ripped the HDD out and put in a SSD. works great as it has both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.

9. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68010

That seems the only feasible solution so far. It seems a little clunky though? I wish someone made a 7mm SSD only TB enclosure...

I've seen some benchmarks where you can see that the usb3 solution clearly doesn't keep up with the TB solution.

10. beeinformed macrumors 6502

What is the name of the SSD that you put into the Buffalo Mini Station and was it difficult to do so? Thanks! :)