Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexxn

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2009
S. Fla
I basically stole a 6 Month old 2015 4K 21.5" iMac, way too good of a deal to pass up.

The downside - it has the 5400RPM spinning HD. I have 2 options:

1) Flip it (I could easily make $300 by reselling) OR

2) Keep it (to replace my 2008 iMac that has an SSD I replaced) and add a Lacie 250GB external Thunderbolt SSD to use as my boot drive.

Thoughts ? From what I'm reading TRIM WILL work on an external Thunderbolt SSD ?

Thanks !

rbart

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
France
Trim will work with an external TB SSD. You will have to use trim force command to enable it.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I basically stole a 6 Month old 2015 4K 21.5" iMac, way too good of a deal to pass up.

The downside - it has the 5400RPM spinning HD. I have 2 options:

1) Flip it (I could easily make $300 by reselling) OR

2) Keep it (to replace my 2008 iMac that has an SSD I replaced) and add a Lacie 250GB external Thunderbolt SSD to use as my boot drive.

Thoughts ? From what I'm reading TRIM WILL work on an external Thunderbolt SSD ?

Thanks !
Many people here use this method and really love it so no reason why not it's even damn good on some USB 3 enclosures.

Of course you can pay an apple authorised technician to replace your HDD with an SSD instead if you like, it has a SATA connector so should be fairly easy for someone who knows what they a re doing.

alexxn

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2009
S. Fla
Many people here use this method and really love it so no reason why not it's even damn good on some USB 3 enclosures.

Of course you can pay an apple authorised technician to replace your HDD with an SSD instead if you like, it has a SATA connector so should be fairly easy for someone who knows what they a re doing.

Maybe down the road after the 1 Year Warranty is up, or if I decide to get Applecare once that is over.

For now I just ordered a Lacie 250GB TB drive and I'll use the built in 1TB for Time Machine.

alexxn

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2009
S. Fla
Got my Lacie TB SSD Drive Today (gotta love Amazon Prime) and cloned everything -

This iMac FLIES now, made a HUGE difference ! I'm speechless. It's as fast as my rMB Pro.

Well worth it guys, thanks everyone !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.