External SSD w/ Thunderbolt for Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by scienide09, Aug 14, 2013.

1. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I did some searching, but have been having trouble finding up to date suggestions.

I'd like run Win7 Bootcamp via an external SSD connected via Thunderbolt. This is possible and has been documented on MR, on the Apple support discussions site, and elsewhere.

The SSD will be for Win7 OS and games, which will be the primary use. This will allow me to keep my Fusion drive dedicated to OS X and apps, media, etc.

I figure I need at least 128GB of space, as my current Bootcamp is pushing 120GB and I haven't installed the things I purchased during the Steam summer sale. That being said, I don't mind deleting and reinstalling things depending on how often they get used. I also have a large USB external drive for additional storage.

Any suggestions for this kind of setup?

2. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Your post had quite a few views so I'll just say it.

If this is documented on MR and Apple support, I'm not sure I understand what kind of "up to date" suggestions you're looking for? You mean actual brands, and part numbers of current SSDs?

3. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

not sure what the OP is asking. maybe state your question more concise.

I'm running win 8 in bootcamp off an external samsung 840pro 256GB via TB. but since there are already threads detailing working instructions, I'm confused as to what you want to know.