External SSD what are you guys using?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by asattwanger, Jun 16, 2012.

1. asattwanger macrumors newbie

Just ordered a MBA and looked at the options for storage. Have no interest in a massive traditional hard drives. Wondering what SSD's you guys have had luck with on your Mac

2. Dween macrumors member

What's the point? Isn't an external for having large amounts of data? Not really for speed? USB 3 or thunderbolt 2.5" hdd would seem as fast as ssd

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

3. Lindberg macrumors regular

I thought that a SSD was suposed to be faster than traditional harddrives?

4. Dween macrumors member

They are faster. But its not really something you'll notice in using an external drive. They work great in improving your OS but transferring data etc would be limited to the USB data speed

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Dween is correct.

But to answer your question, I have an Iomega 128 GB SSD external that I use to transfer large files around with.

6. asattwanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

The point is not speed in the SSD for me. It's the idea behind idea that I have never had a SD, flash, or XD {fuji film} fail. Not even after backing a 8GB flash in my Honda in Florida for two years. I haven't heard any of my friends cry about losing any either.

I can't say that about traditional hard drives.

7. Halon X macrumors regular

Elgato 256GB Thunderbolt SSD

I travel a lot and keep a bootable copy of my Air's internal drive on it allowing me to boot off the SSD and keep working should the internal drive ever crap out while I'm on the road. I also use it to store/run a couple large VM's and to copy other large files between couple different machines.

The speed is amazing!

Had the new Air come out 6 months ago I probably would have purchased something with USB3 connectivity instead.