External SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jpalessi, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Jpalessi macrumors member

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

sure but you're not going to get the advantage of the USB 3.0 that they include. There are cheaper drives out there that would suit your purpose just fine, check out the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Portable drives, they'll give you more storage space, but also the ability to change interfaces if you ever upgrade (USB 3.0, eSATA, USB 2.0, FW800, etc.)... You can get a 1TB one for around $100

3. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

so buying a ssd would be pointless cause the connection cant handle the speeds? excuse me if i seem stupid. im still learning. I'm actually upgrading the hdd in my mbp n i plan to use the old drive to back up my imac (both 250's) i was just wanting to see if i could make it faster by getting a external ssd to free up space n run os x n apps.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

SSD would be bottlenecked by the USB connection. Use an external HDD and that will be fine.

Cheers,

5. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks guys. question tho. can i open this thing up and upgrade to a larger hdd or ssd? if yes do you think it would be worth it considering its a 3year old machine?

6. Cruzer442 macrumors member

Depends on what is sluggish I believe. You may need/want to instead replace your internal drive with an SSD or hybrid if you want applications to launch faster.

7. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

launching apps takes longer than it should for sure. especially iphoto. idk if the amount of photos effects that or not but man it takes forever sometimes. I leave this imac running a lot so my drive maybe going bad. idk. i deff at the least need to try n free up some space. its only a 250 and it about half full.

8. Cruzer442 macrumors member

9. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

yea for sure that would be what id get if i end up opening it up.. how hard was the install?

10. Cruzer442 macrumors member

The hybrid SSD cache works by remembering what you've opened recently then opening it the next time a heckuva a lot faster. I just tried it by opening iPhoto (which I haven't opened in a long time) and it took 2-3 seconds. I closed it, opened it agin and it launched in a fraction of a second.

----------

Install was easy. Your gonna need a #0 screwdriver to take back off if I remember correctly. I watched video on youtube or Ifixit but it was simple.

11. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

yea i watched some video on it the other day cause im upgrading my MBP to dual hdd + ssd n i was considering one of those. decided against it in the MBP but for what i need for a desktop i think it would be perfect. any idea how i can figure out what interface my imac drive bay might have? and does it matter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

12. tmagman macrumors 6502

you may not even have to replace the main HDD, it may just need a wipe and clean new install of the OS. I've done this with several machines and seen considerable performance improvements because you're essentially starting fresh without a lof of extra things on the computer (and changes to the files).

13. Jpalessi thread starter macrumors member

i think i might try that. still would be nice to have that hybrid in there.