External SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SS4Luck, Sep 1, 2014.

1. SS4Luck macrumors regular

SS4Luck

Okay so I bought my rMBP with the intentions of putting a new SSD in it and using the stock drive in an external housing to use as a place to store my music and movies and use on occasion.

Well, i wasn't aware you can't swap out the SSD on the newest rMBP yet, oh well. Ill buy an external, problem solved.

Now the question, which one to get lol.

Do the SSDs that don't work as an internal work as an external? cuz some of those larger replacement drives would make nice external drives. I just don't want something to go wrong and hurt either the external or my laptop.

Ive got about 500 to spend and would like to be as close to 1T as possible obviously.

Suggestions?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You need to consider the speed of the interface, no point having an SSD to work through a USB2 interface for example...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean not work internally? If its not working inside the laptop, they'll not work outside.

If you're taking interface, or size then yeah it would work externally provided you get the correct external enclosure.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Get an external enclosure with usb 3 capability. Stick an ssd in. La voila! :)

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, those SSDs work fine as an external. Grab this Samsung EVO SSD for $439 and pop it in this USB3 enclosure for $19 and you will be in business.

6. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

7. mawyatt1 macrumors member

I have a 2012 MBPr and I just changed the SSD. Transcend has a replacement 960GB SSD, the Jet Drive 725 kit. They give you a small USB case for your MBPr SSD after you remove it.

First to copy the MBPr SSD to the new Transcend SSD in the USB case. Then remove the MBPr cover and slide out the SSD and replace with new the Transcend SSD. Place the original MBPr SSD in the USB case and you have an external USB SSD. Transcend gives instructions and the tools in the kit, very easy to do IMO.

8. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Yeah, that's a 2012 model. We are talking about a 2013 model and the drives ARE different.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Yep, that is exactly what you should do. That enclosure is even tool-less, so you don't even need a screwdriver. Just pop it in, and you're set.

10. SS4Luck thread starter macrumors regular

SS4Luck

thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks!

----------

what TechGod said! Thanks everyone parts are getting ordered now

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I suggest the Samsung 8xx series of drives. They have them in mSATA as well up to 1TB. Combine that with a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt enclosure, you have yourself a very capable external.

12. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I'll go so far as to say the ONLY points with a USB2.0 SSD would be less power consumption, no moving parts, and silent operation.