External SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dspalton, Nov 13, 2014.

1. dspalton macrumors 6502a

Hi Everyone
    I got a Late 2013 iMax 21incher with the 1TB hard drive and 8GB Ram
    There is nothing wrong with the speed at all, but would an external SSD Drive help in the similar way to the overall speed the same as my MbA?

IE if i had a 140-256GB SSD running externally and put the apps and OS on there, and just used my 1TB drive purely for storage, would i see a noticeable boot up and running speed increase?

Thanks

Dave

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You would be better off having an internal SSD and using the 1TB HDD as an external drive. I wouldn't recommend booting and running from an external drive, as the connection isn't guaranteed not to be broken.

3. dspalton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated

Not too confident taking the iMac apart thats all :eek:

Dave

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're happy with the current performance, don't mess with it. If you really want the performance bump from the SSD, there are online guides to show you how to replace it, or you may find a friend or repair shop who would do it for you. Be aware that performing any modification that Apple didn't intend could void your warranty.

5. dspalton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds good mate. Just wondered how much i would notice the difference?

Dave

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes that would work fine and speed things up quite a bit. If you can afford it, go with a Thunderbolt SSD vs. USB3 since TB supports TRIM on an external drive.

You just need to be careful you mount the disk to the iMac somehow so it does not get accidentally disconnected. There is a good thread here with quite a few users doing this along with some speed tests to give you an idea of the improvement.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The performance boost from going from a HDD to a SSD is quite noticeable. Any operation that involves reading or writing to the drive will be significantly faster with a SSD. Boot up time is dramatically improved, etc. Once you start using a SSD, you won't ever want to go back to HDDs, as they will be maddeningly slow, by comparison.

If you want a simple example, reboot your iMac and measure the time from requesting the reboot to logging in and all your icons, menu bar, dock, etc. to be fully up and ready for use. Then post that number. I'll do the same on my MBP with SSD. It won't be exact, as logging in will take different times and we will have different startup processes, but it will give you a general idea of the difference.

8. dspalton thread starter macrumors 6502a

1minute and 39Seconds

Dave

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

28 seconds

10. dspalton thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

28 seconds! i regret not getting ssd or at least a fusion drive.

like the OP, i am also considering booting from an external ssd.
    my plan is to get an Inatek enclosure and adding a samsung 840 evo 250gb ssd.

anyone see any problems with that configuration?

12. dspalton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive timed my MBA and its about 26 seconds... lol

I will look up your config as I'm thinking the same idea.
    Been looking at the Crucial MX100 256GB SaTA SSD Drive
    Ill check the Samsung though

Dave

13. TFL167 macrumors member

Would you use a Thunderbolt SSD for backups or would you use usb3 SSD. Any recommendations as to which brand to buy

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Flash storage like an SSD is pretty expensive just for backup. I think most people are just using a USB3 hard drive for backups because top speed with a backup drive it really not that much of a priority.

I would just get whatever USB3 external hard drive you can find around on sale. The WD My Passport line is usually a good bargain.

15. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I use the Inatek with Crucial mx100 512gb ssd which has been working well as external storage, but I don't use it as a boot.

16. Gazmo macrumors member

Gazmo

Hi Dave,

How did you get on using this method?

----------

This is the setup I'm going for - have you installed it yet? How are you getting on?

17. dspalton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi Gazmo,
    Ive not completed it yet. Funds instead are being diverted to getting a 3D printer lol

Dave

18. Gazmo macrumors member

Gazmo

Ah no problem Dave, I will be doing the same setup on Friday so will let you know what it's like!

Gaz.

19. Benapillot, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014

Benapillot macrumors newbie

I ran my mid-2011 iMac OS and apps on an external SSD via Thunderbolt for a couple years (until I mustered up the guts to install it internally) and the speed bump is significant, even running externally. Take a look at the Speed Tests:

Internal HDD:
    [​IMG]

Thunderbolt External SSD:
    [​IMG]

Internal SSD:
    [​IMG]

20. Gazmo, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014

Gazmo macrumors member

Gazmo

I have just run a couple of speed tests on mine since installing OS X on my new external Samsung 840 Pro SSD. I should point out the Mac is brand new today so doesn't have a lot of data in there at all. I should point out the external SSD is connected by USB 3.0.

Computer Spec:

[​IMG]

Internal HDD 1TB

[​IMG]

External SSD - Samsung Pro 840 SSD 256GB

[​IMG]

21. bassjunky macrumors regular

So it seems USB 3.0 connected to an external SSD has better performance than Thunderbolt. Is that right?

22. Gazmo, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

Gazmo macrumors member

Gazmo

I believe Thundrbolt is the better option but its more expensive to do. I wouldn't compare my results with the ones above as we have a totally different spec'd machines.

23. SaSaSushi, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

USB 3.0 seems to be marginally faster than Thunderbolt in benchmarks. I doubt it is noticeably faster in actual usage. Thunderbolt is definitely preferable for the ability to enable TRIM and run firmware updates, etc.

These are benchmarks for my Samsung 840 EVO in both USB and TB enclosures. I am actually using the drive in the TB enclosure.

Inateck FEU3NS-1E UASP USB 3.0 enclosure:
    [​IMG]]

Delock 42490 Thunderbolt Enclosure:
    [​IMG]

24. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I think your TB enclosure is a tad slow... I'm using an Intel 730 SSD in an OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro and get almost 500MB/sec read speeds compared to 400MB/sec in an OWC USB 3.0 enclosure.