External Stickies Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by briandunning, Feb 19, 2008.

1. briandunning macrumors newbie

So today, it dawned on me that I need to use Stickies (or Edgies) for quite a lot of applications, and though I have a two-monitor set-up, they keep getting pushed to the back and out of sight.

So my question is: is there a small LCD monitor device or accessory that I could hook up to only use for stickies windows? I'm imagining something like a cross between a digital picture frame and one of art lebedev's unitasker-devices. Basically just a small monitor that I could dedicate one thing to, and hopefully mount to the side of my main screen.

I know there probably isn't a product designed for this, but does anyone out there have any solutions on how I might be able to accomplish this?

Thanks!

2. niemo810 macrumors member

That's an interesting request, and interesting requests sometimes require interesting responses...

Do you have any particular resolution in mind? If I were you, I would find a really old cheap LCD on some bargain site. Old LCD screens used to be much smaller. I'm thinking like an 11 or 12 inch? We might not be on the same track, but you could take the screen out of its cumbersome casing (which are common in old LCDs) and make your own casing to suit your needs. Who knows...

Or, you could just use real sticky notes :p

3. vandlism macrumors 6502

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

just use the stickies on your dashboard! That way you can always see them at the press of a single button.

5. briandunning thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that, but I really don't think that the dashboard stickies app is powerful enough for what I need. I like using edgies because of the ability to add checklists and the such...

This is a lot like what I had in mind. I wonder if there is any way of using a spare firewire port or USB port to power an old monitor.

And yeah, I use real sticky notes, but where is the fun in that?

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Option V creates a √ check mark character, so you can easily make checklists. Is there anything else you think it's lacking?

EDIT:

Oh, and if you're really intent on using that particular stickies app but always need it accessible, then just put it in its own Spaces space, that way you can get to it at the press of a button.

7. briandunning thread starter macrumors newbie

Beat me to the punch

Looks like Samsung was listening to me. Look what they unveiled.

Samsung 2263DX LCD monitor.

I guess I need to start saving...

8. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

sweet screen!

i just wish the secondary screen was a tad bigger :eek: