External Storage - Final Cut Studio Apps

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nyzwerewolf, Feb 4, 2011.

1. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

hey guys,

I am looking for an external storage enclosure/solution that can accommodate 4-5 SATA II disks. I want to be able to configure the disks in RAID0 and use it as a Scratch Disk for Final Cut Studio & Adobe CS5 Apps.

So the workflow should be: External Enclosure connected to the Raid Card in Mac Pro via eSATA or miniSAS.

Let me know what you guys know of a good solution.

PS: This solution is for a small-medium production facility that records 2-3 hours for AVCHD in one take weekly, and then gets transcoded to ProRes 422/LT in Final Cut Pro for editing and exporting for web/DVD distribution.

I have previously posted a thread regarding this, but I was looking into an internal storage solution to add 6 SATA disks, and since Mac Pro only allow 4 SATA disks, additional modding is required to accommodate more internal disks. I am hesitant to do that to a system that will be used by someone else other than myself.

Thanks a lot!

2. gameface macrumors 6502

I have the Qx2 in my home edit suite hooked up via esata. I also know a few other freelancers using it as well. Works great.