External storage for iMac USB or TB?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MiniD3, May 21, 2014.

1. MiniD3, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014

MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

I'm guessing TB is faster but I don't really know

Starting to plan ahead, my image storage is growing, will have to move to all referenced files in the new year

Currently using external WD HDD's which are USB3, appear quite fast, wondering if TB would be a whole lot faster if my files are all referenced in Aperture

been just keeping managed files for the current year but if I get a 36mp camera this year, that will have to change
    ....Gary

2. garycurtis macrumors 6502

USB-3 transfers data at the limit of any spinning disk. Unless you have an SSD, Thunderbolt won't increase the speed.

My main application is Aperture. I use it most days of the week. I have two ext. HDDs connected via USB-3. Everything runs fine and I'm happy. This week i added another 8Gb of RAM to the existing 8Gb. I'm no expert but programs seem to execute and start up about 25% faster.

Strangely, the biggest increase I notice is in Safari. It gets online llightning fast and sites like the NY Times just pop onto the screen. I'm not sure these justify the $90 for RAM. If you haven't noticed, memory and SSD prices dropped this week.

I'm running a late 2013 iMac 27" on Mavericks. It's not the hottest model. Your mileage may vary.

3. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Tks Gary,

I do have a SSD, only 750GB and have 32Gb ram, (also Aperture but use PS a lot as well)
    Guess 2 new 4TB USB3 WD will suffice
    ....Gary

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just a thought...

If you are going to be in a situation where you are swapping drives, particularly in a backup situation, you might consider getting a USB3/SATA docking station, and several "bare drives".

I prefer home-built drives to "store bought" drives, because when you do it yourself, you KNOW what went inside. And if you have a problem with a drive, it's easier to isolate just where the problem is.

There are also dual-bay docks that make backing up one drive to another easy.

These things don't look all that "elegant" sitting on your desktop (some Mac users seem very touchy about such things), but they are workhorses...

5. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Thank you,

Maybe a little. (lot), out of my skill level, but does sound like a great idea,
    Glad I'm planning this a few months ahead, more choices than I thought
    ....Gary

6. garycurtis macrumors 6502

I did just that. I bought a USB-3 dock that accepts both 2.5" and 3.5" internal drives. No cooling fan needed because the drives are exposed to open air. And when technology changes or storage becomes cheaper, I can simply plug in a new drive and save money.

My dock has its own power supply, and it allows you to boot from it. Most don't Only $29 from Amazon.com.

7. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Now that sounds like good option,
    Will have a look
    ....Gary

8. garycurtis macrumors 6502