External storage for Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Larpy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Larpy macrumors member

What options do I have for external storage for an ipad? I was thinking of buying a a time capsule or another wireless hard drive but wondering if there are other cheaper options? Is there any way to connect an Ipad to a portable HD?

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

iTunes is the means to backup an iPad. Right click on the iPad in itunes side bar and choose backup.

A correctly formatted HD can be connected to the iPad but for transfer from HD to iPad using the camera connector.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Storage, or backups? You can use iTunes home sharing which is good, and I use Air Video so I don't have to have all my movies on the iPad it's self. As far as I know, the only way to backup the iPad, is to sync it.

4. Larpy thread starter macrumors member

I guess i need to explain what i mean in a bit more detail,,, I can't believe you guys can't read my mind:p

What I want is a wireless HD that I can use with my Ipad so that I can store movies and music on as i feel like the 64gb is not enough for my wife and I on a long trip (2 months+). I was also thinking this could double as my media storage for my :apple: TV. Would this work?

aicul: thanks i didn't know that you could use the camara conector and that may be an option. What format do you need to format the harddrive so it can be read by the ipad?

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

My solution to your problem, has been to create a home NAS with all my video media on it, which streams to my :apple:tv. I keep all my music on my MBP, and I have refined my music to playlists to keep on the iPad and iPhone 4. I use Air Video to stream my videos to my iPad and iPhone 4, when on the go. Although nothing I have mentioned is very hard to do, you do have to know what you're doing to create such a network. Air Video is a pretty easy to use and straight forward app, it also has a lot of nice features.

6. Larpy thread starter macrumors member

k a little closer to what I want. What are you using as a NAS, is it a router with a HD attached? I'll look into the app, but was hoping for a set up I could travle with.

L

7. evans.900 macrumors newbie

I was thinking of trying out one of these http://www.airstash.com/

8. Larpy thread starter macrumors member

Well that looks interesting, was hoping for something bigger