External Storage For My iMac & MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Futhark, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Hi all, i've recently changed over from PC's to Mac's and i would like the best External Storage Solution preferably wireless for both my Mac's.

I would like to be able to store all my Music, Pictures & Videos etc on the device as well as make backups of both computers and access them from another network.

I currently use a HP MediaSmart Server from my Windows days but i find it soooooo slow and it doesn't backup my macs or allow me to save my Photo's from Aperture on it.

I do have a NETGEAR WNDR3700 which will allow an external hard drive to be attached and accessed from anywhere, is this my best solution or is there NAS options that i should be going for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

There are a couple of solutions I'd suggest depending on how your setup is. If you leave your iMac on all of the time, I'd suggest an external drive attached directly to it shared wirelessly with your MBP. This allows you to also use Time Machine to back up to the hard drive.

If you would rather have it completely wireless with both your iMac and MBP, I'd suggest a NAS with Time Machine backup capability. Synology has a line of NAS drives that support Time Machine.

Lastly, if you don't plan on using Time Machine, you can use the NETGEAR method (though you'd have to look into being able to access the attached HDD using Mac OS X). This solution would probably be the cheapest, though your speeds may not be the best and you may experience stuttering when watching videos.

3. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Why not grab a time capsule? Get a USB hub as well