Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pigpen29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2014
Trying to decide what the best option will be for my situation. I currently own a single PC, ipad2, and 27" iMac. I am selling the iMac and iPad and replacing them with a 13" MBP with the 256 ssd and 8gb ram. I will do some intermediate Lightroom photo editing and similar video editing on my MBP.

I would like to backup my new laptop as a clone and store all my other photos and videos and music on an external source.

I was thinking maybe a NAS in raid 1 with all the photos and videos. This would leave me the ability to access via my PC as well right? Could I also put a clone on a separate partition of that NAS?

How well would the speed be when working with photos in Lightroom with a gigabit backbone on my local home network?

Would this work well? Any better ideas?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I have all my media folders (Pictures, Music, Documents, Videos..etc) on an external LaCie 2BIG 6TB. I do not need to try to carry all that stuff around in the field. I use iTunes to put 400+ CDs on my iPhone and edit photos on my iPad. No need to take up expensive SSD space for those files. My backup is a Lacie 2d 6TB used by Time Machine.

Always include a separate backup drive as a basic component in your plans. Never try to use part of the backup drive for a media/library drive. When you lose that drive (all drives fail eventually) you lose the data and the backup. That is very bad karma. ;)

Pigpen29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2014
MCAsan. I should of stated I intended to also have a single drive that would be a clone of the NAS that I would backup once a month or so and store outside of the house.

Does time machine on your LaCie d2 backup your MBP + your LaCie 2big NAS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.