External Storage/NAS Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MattZani, Jul 3, 2014.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm in need of more external storage, and more specifically storage with safety features built in (RAID etc). I'm looking to buy an rMBP and my Dad has a MBA, ideally I'd like to be able for them both to access the files over WiFi, so great, get a NAS right?

I was looking at the Synology ones, seem fairly cheap for a 2 bay, access from the internet, iOS apps etc, can create a 4Tb RAID1 which should be enough for now. But then it doesn't act like an actual external does, I was hoping it would just appear as another drive connected, it might seem nitpicky as it seems to act like one but it just doesn't appear like one.

But then regular externals don't really work as when the rMBP isn't docked at a desk they're unplugged and not accessible.

I was also wanting both devices to be able to backup via Time Machine to them.

A NAS would allow me to access the files on it over the internet, which would be a plus if I'm away from home and need to access something I've archived.

My original thought was a Time Machine, but it's not RAID, and does so little for the money. The wireless Router would be nice but not essential. I have a Gen1 TC which is faulty meaning it can no longer use it's internal drive, I'm wary of something similar happening again.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a Synology NAS (213j) for use as a file storage device and network backup for time machine. It works very well.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

How does it appear in Finder? Can you use it just like an external? All the reviews mention all their apps etc which are great, but I just want to use it like an external really, mainly for moving old work to from Lightroom.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Once you mount it, it works just like a network share. If you set it up right, you can partition it so that you mount a share to use as a network drive, and have a separate login for Time Machine to use, and you never even have to see the Time Machine backups (unless you need them).

5. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'd most likely partition it so that each machine had it's own backup area, as I know TM likes to fill drives. Either that or attach drives to the USBs for backup and keep the main drive for other stuff. As in theory the TM backups don't need to be RAID as well. It would also allow me to unplug the TM drive and take it with me.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I have a two drive Synology in a Raid 1 configuration for fault tolerance. Remember, raid is not a backup, it just keeps things going if a drive fails. I have 3 shares defined on it, one for time machine, one for media files, and one for user storage. I have over a terabyte of music, video, and other media. Hard to keep all that on my 512gb SSD.

Having the Synology doesn't eliminate the need for other backups. I also have a USB drive attached to my MBP that is a CCC clone and is updated multiple times a day. If my machine files, I can plug that into my wife's iMac and I'm running just like I was on my laptop.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

In your start up folder you put the server connection to the NAS and it will then act just like an external drive. You see it in Finder as Diskstation.

You also need to think about a backup strategy for the NAS. Synology NAS comes with backup software that provides features similar to Time Machine you simply hook up a USB 3 drive to the NAS and set options on how often you want to backup.

8. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I hadn't entirely considered backup for the NAS.

Seems I can't plug Time Machine USB Drives in to the Synology, it won't write to HFS+. It's always annoying when things don't do what you want them to!