External Storage Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GP-SE, Sep 2, 2014.

1. GP-SE macrumors 6502

Hey guys, just got a 2014 rBMP with the 512GB PCIe Storage option.

What are you guys doing for external storage, and what options do we have?

I was wondering, is there a way to connect say a 500GB hard drive to my router, and have the files "stream" to my macbook Pro? I've googled and it seems whatever drive you connect to the router will be shared with everyone on the network. I don't what to do that, I just want it to be shared with my MacBookPro.

I have an external usb 3.0 hard drive, but don't want it connected to my MacBook Pro all the time, I rather have something that uses the network.

2. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I am nearly certain you can password protect an attached drive to an apple router. That should work.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I have a LaCie 2Big 6TB running in RAID 0 for storing my photos, videos, documents, music...etc. I have a LaCie d2 6TB for doing TM backups of my internal SSD and the 2Big RAID set.

4. bgd macrumors regular

I have a Synology NAS with 2 x 4TB drives in Raid 1. I use this for all my storage and backup the NAS to 2 external drives. One daily which is attached and another periodically which is stored offsite.

I use Dropbox but can access the NAS remotely so tend to rely on that.

If I travel I dump what I need onto the MBA. Basically I don't use computers for storage now, just the NAS.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You cannot hide the drive to everyone but yourself, that is the entire network will see the drive, but you can set up permissions so only you have access to the folders.

The other option is to use a NAS that has user permissions so only you will have access to a specific shared area, and the other users on the network would have theirs.

Finally the simplest approach is to hook the external drive up to your USB interface and use it directly with your computer. Then only you will see and have access to it.

6. GP-SE thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies guys. I might look into a NAS, since my router won't see drives unless they are fat 32 or ntfs. I have a 500GB external hard drive so fat32 or ntfs won't work.